Monday, April 15, 2024

Week Fifteen Prompt Response

Three ways that we promote our collection at my library are the following: 

1. Themed book lists. I'm pretty sure every library under the sun does this, but a list of related titles is just such a great way to pique reader interest. When we have done One Book programs historically, these always included read-alike titles to the One Book.

2. "Hot Book" videos. Occasionally, we partner with Communications to produce videos highlighting a trending book or a book that our staff is enjoying and create a BookTok style video for our socials. We try to follow current social media trends when doing these.

3. Next Great Read service. Patrons can fill out forms at our circulation desks or online and receive five tailored book recommendations from our readers' advisory committee via email! This service waxes and wanes in popularity, but I think it's super neat. Its die-hard fans are huge advocates for the service.

6 comments:

  1. I'm familiar with themed book lists, but with your One Book program, other than the read-alike titles, what else is involved?

    Also, I love the idea of "Hot Book" videos! Are they similar to when publishers release trailer videos for new title releases?

    I can't praise enough the many different RA programs that libraries offer. I have been introduced to so many amazing books/audiobooks that I may not have found otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next Great Read sounds fun! I love that it is a service that can be accessed digitally as well. Has your library ever considered taking that service to social media? One of my past library jobs would do pop-up reader's advisory on Facebook where people would comment something they enjoyed and the librarians would recommend something new for them. Might be a new way to engage different users in a similar service. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of an on-the-spot RA service--I'm considering it for a community festival booth instead of or in addition to handing out swag

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenni! I like the idea of the Next Great Reads. I think our library does something like this, but more often than not, when I'm assisting patrons, they just prefer to ask me what I'm reading. I start by just mentioning the genres (because not everyone is prepared for the response of true crime and horror from me), if those are subjects they are interested in, then I tell them what specifically I'm reading and authors I really like in those subjects. It just feels more organic to me, and I'm always more than happy to keep suggesting new authors and titles to those patrons once they've finished their reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you try to incorporate current social media trends in your "Hot Book" videos! I've seen a lot of libraries on TikTok lately, and they are making such fun videos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! All tried and true favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Week Fifteen Prompt Response

Three ways that we promote our collection at my library are the following:  1. Themed book lists. I'm pretty sure every library under th...