Sunday, February 4, 2024

Secret Shopper Experience Summary

 My secret shopper experience was not wholly good or bad. The employee working the circulation desk did not greet me when I entered the building as she was working on something at her computer. I browsed around for a bit and noticed the shelves were well-maintained and the displays were attractive. I noted to myself that if I were a patron who preferred to discover things on my own, this library would meet my needs. I eventually approached the circulation desk and asked if the employee could recommend me a good book. 

The employee was welcoming in that moment and directed all of her attention on me. This did make me feel appreciated as a patron. She asked me what I usually like to read and I told her I enjoy science fiction and fantasy novels. Almost immediately, the employee seemed to get a little nervous and told me she doesn't read that genre. I thought she might turn to NoveList or Google, but she instead directed me to the appropriate place in the stacks. She pointed out how the books were labeled and showed me where new books versus older ones were. I thanked her. 

I think this interaction would satisfy some patrons. Truthfully, if I were there as a patron and not as a student observing, I imagine this would have felt sufficient as I prefer to discover books on my own. However, if I were a patron who wanted a hands-on, personal feel, the interaction could have benefited from the employee asking me some follow up questions, such as inquiring what authors I've enjoyed reading in the past, what specific books I've loved, and going from there. This would have given a stronger impression that the employee cared about the outcome of the interaction and my experience as a patron.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Grace! You make a really interesting point about the average patron versus the MLIS student! If I knew I were interacting with a student completing an assignment, I would REALLY try to dot my "i's" and cross my "t's." But if you don't know what good RA service is, you would probably be happy with any help at all. The patrons who I have helped in the past with RA have often seemed "quasi-satisfied" with my attempts to help them. Now that I know so much more, though, I'm going to work hard to do a better job! I also wonder if library employees who are offering RA services have all been trained in it. How would you know if you've never been taught? I think a lot of library employees who offer RA services don't really know how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I would be the type of patron that doesn't mind not being greeted when entering a library since I usually like to quietly look around before speaking to someone when I go. I do feel however, that the librarian could have researched a bit about the genre rather than just send you off to the stacks. However, I can understand them being nervous about not having read the specified genre so I also understand the thought of having you look for yourself. Overall I agree that it wasn't the best way to do it but it is still better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grace! I'm curious how the books were labeled. Did this library use genre stickers? My library does, and I think it's a great way to help patrons who prefer to browse by themselves (like myself) find materials they might like without having to ask for help. I'm a little surprised that the librarian you spoke to didn't use the catalog to at least perform a genre search, but maybe she was just having an off day or doesn't have much RA training.

    ReplyDelete

Week Fifteen Prompt Response

Three ways that we promote our collection at my library are the following:  1. Themed book lists. I'm pretty sure every library under th...