Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Week Eleven Prompt Response

Audiobooks and ebooks are really important for broader accessibility. Being able to listen to a book, while of course being convenient on long drives or otherwise on the go, is also amazing for those with low vision. Some of the most avid users of ebooks at my previous branch were senior patrons who needed the flexibility to make the text larger. My library system has a robust collection of ebooks and eaudiobooks on Libby and Hoopla; unfortunately, I feel like we struggle to entice patrons with no natural interest in this medium to give it a try, and I put in a lot of collection development requests for physical copies of books we have digitally. 

I think print books have a kind of hidden appeal factor we don't often talk about; the physical appearance of the book. Books with sprayed edges are super popular right now (see A Fate Inked in Blood, Gothikana, or Sanctuary of the Shadow). The font choice, cover design, and intangible feel of the book can lead someone to pick it up and take it home. Ebooks sacrifice this appeal to gain flexibility. Some patrons in our service area own property locally but travel a lot or move to Florida during the winter, and they will use our Libby from afar while they are out of town. 

The effectiveness of a narrator in an audiobook cannot be overemphasized in terms of appeal. Many of my coworkers have been reading the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. One coworker listened to the dramatized audiobook for all the books, and found herself not enjoying one of the main characters because she found that narrator annoying, and it affected her overall enjoyment of the books. Additionally, I have seen some people in my romantasy Facebook group discussing deleting certain audiobook downloads from their devices without ever listening to them because the narrator was found out to be predatory towards his fans. (Imagine being that author and having someone so beyond your control negatively impact your work!). 

Overall, ebooks and audiobooks are an essential, valued form of reading and storytelling that make reading accessible to more people. Some purists will argue that the only reading that counts is reading a print book, but I couldn't disagree more. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Grace, you make a great point about the look of a physical book having appeal. I definitely choose books by their covers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re right that print books have a certain appeal. I’ve been wanting the frayed edges of the Fourth Wing hardcover, but I jumped on the bandwagon too late. I do love eBooks, though. It is easy to borrow from a library and not worry about returning a book late and receiving a fine. (I know many libraries are fine-free, but we are not due to our Library Board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Grace!

    Excellent point about "enticing" patrons who may benefit from trying eBooks and eAudiobooks. I brought up something similar in Jacob Booth's post as well. Many patrons who deal with vision impairments are generally put off by technology and simply do not want to take the time to learn it (which is entirely valid! Libby can even be confusing for me sometimes!). This is why I am such a big supporter of large print collections as well. However, these apps and services are the most readily available accessible tools for those with difficulties reading, so it is essential that library programming supports this avenue through passive learning, like pamphlets and flyers about how to use these apps, and active programming, like digital literacy sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also introduced ebooks to my older patrons so that they can enjoy some of the newer books before the LP edition is published. I feel your struggle with enticing readers to explore digital material. Some are automatically and sometimes venomously opposed to even trying it.

    ReplyDelete

Week Fifteen Prompt Response

Three ways that we promote our collection at my library are the following:  1. Themed book lists. I'm pretty sure every library under th...